What is alternative provision.?
Local authorities are responsible for arranging suitable full-time education for permanently excluded pupils, and for other pupils who, because of illness or other reasons, would not receive suitable education without such provision. This applies to all children of compulsory school age resident in the local authority area, whether or not they are on the roll of a school, and whatever type of school they attend. Good alternative provision is that which appropriately meets the needs of pupils that require its use and enables them to achieve good educational attainment on par with their mainstream peers.
All pupils must receive a good education, regardless of their circumstances or the settings in which they find themselves. Provision will differ from pupil to pupil, but there are some common elements that alternative provision should aim to achieve, including:
- Good academic attainment on par with mainstream schools – particularly in English, maths and science (including IT) – with appropriate accreditation and qualifications.
- That the specific personal, social and academic needs of pupils are properly. identified and met in order to help them to overcome any barriers to attainment.
- Improved pupil motivation and self-confidence, attendance and engagement with education
- Clearly defined objectives, including the next steps following the placement such as reintegration into mainstream education, further education, training or employment.
Where a pupil has had one or more fixed-term exclusions and is considered to be at risk of permanent exclusion from School. Alternative Provision is a strategy to avoid permanent exclusion for pupils and to encourage inclusion in education.
- We consider personal development to be as important as qualifications to enable students to succeed
- We encourage our students to strive towards meaningful goals and develop their self-esteem and confidence
- We support students to develop the resilience to positively overcome the problems they encounter both in and out of their educational settings
- We encourage our students to develop their own personality and to discover their own individual paths towards adulthood
Our provision’s main strengths lie in
- Encouraging independent learning by using a variety of teaching methods
- Creating a nurturing and supportive environment
- Developing constructive relationships with schools and other agencies
- Employing a diverse team of tutors with a wide variety of skills and experiences
- Working in small groups or 1:1 to maximise the positive learning experience for each student
- Developing partnerships with neighbouring businesses, charities and facilities to offer work experience and extra-curricular opportunities
Our responsibility to you:
- We will provide you with a great learning experience that you will enjoy and find stimulating.
- We will support your goals and help you to achieve them.
- We believe everyone is capable of achieving.
- We will support you and encourage you to set your goals high and your dreams higher.
- We will offer you a curriculum that is interesting, educational, balanced, interesting and achievable.
- We will be very clear in what you will need to do in order to achieve.
- We will show you respect.
- We will support your needs.
- We will offer you praise and reward in equal measure.
- We will provide you with a safe and secure setting to help you feel protected and comfortable to embrace your learning and work with our staff and students in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Provide up to date details of contacts to so we are able to inform you promptly regarding matters relating to your child.
- Support our mission in educating your child.
- Support us in educating your child on our rules and regulations.
- Make sure your child attends regularly and on time.
- Attend parent/carer meetings to enable us to review your child’s progress.
- Give comments (when required) on your child’s education.
- Inform us immediately if you have any concerns regarding your child’s education or general wellbeing.
- Inform us by 9.30am if your child will not be attending their provision.
- Talk to us – if you have any questions regarding our provision or your child’s education then please contact us. Together we achieve more.
Info for Students:
We are: An alternative to main stream school where you can still obtain qualifications but without all the daily obstacles which seem to make your school life difficult A school that has time to spend with you and get to know you as an individual A place where lessons are designed around you so that you enjoy them and they fit your individual preferred style of learning. Somewhere where you can learn at your own pace
A school where you can have One to One time with a tutor who can help you with whatever you may be struggling with Somewhere that you look forward to attending which will help you achieve a higher rate of attendance A place where you are listened to no matter what you say. Somewhere that lots of different abilities come together instead of lots of labels
A school where you always feel included, Tutors that understand where you are coming from A place that is warm and friendly where you feel comfortable and able to turn up no matter what may have happened the night / day before Somewhere you can feel valued and respected
A school without a uniform that doesn’t judge you on how you dress. An education system that understands we all have good days and bad days, and sometimes you just need that bit of extra space and support. A new start every day, with all yesterday’s issues left behind
- Make the most of your time with us.
- Remember, all your lessons are important so embrace them and make the most of your time with us.
- Make sure you arrive on time and you are ready to learn.
- Make sure you arrive dressed appropriately.
- Respect your teachers and other students at all time.
- Be kind to others.
- Respect the rules and follow them at all times.
- Be on time for lessons and behave well in your classroom so everyone can learn and achieve together.
- Work hard with your teachers and fellow students – together we can achieve anything.
- Talk to us – if you have any worries or concerns then please highlight them. We are here to help you and work with you. Together we achieve more